Taking care of business
There may be no other city in the United States that has gone through a more impressive revitalization. Pittsburgh, the “steel city” that once relied on heavy industry, is now a center for the high technology, health care, and financial industries. The people of Pittsburgh are very excited about what lies ahead for their hometown, and for good reason. Pittsburgh may be on the verge of its third renaissance in the past 100 years.
Its leadership in the fields of high technology, medicine, education and finance reinforces Pittsburgh’s ranking as a top corporate market. Pittsburgh is a mecca for big business; eight Fortune 500 companies call us home, which puts is in a tie for 8th most in the nation. Pittsburgh features world-class hospitals and a health-care industry that is among the largest employers in town.
- In July 2010 Business Week Magazine ranked Pittsburgh in it’s “Best Cities for New College Graduates” in recognition of Pittsburgh’s strong job market and low cost of living.
- Ranked in the top 10 of areas in the nation with climates favorable to business expansion by Expansion Magazine in 2006.
- Pittsburgh was ranked as the #1 most livable city by Rand McNally’s Places Rated Almanac twice.
- Ranked the most livable city in 2010 by both Forbes and Yahoo!
- Pittsburgh is home to 8 Fortune 500 companies and is ranked 6th in the nation for the most corporate headquarters.
- Pittsburgh was ranked as the #1 top cities for geeks and #7 best city for technology jobs and entrepreneurship by Wired Magazine.